Monday, October 28, 2013

Houston - October 28, 2013

We had a super good week. Everything worked out with my bike and I was super blessed. It turns out that the back tire of my bike was a bit torn up and so it was wobbly which I think caused the axle to break. I was greatly blessed though because I thought I would need a new wheel which would cost a lot but I didn't.

I am doing great! This week was a very good one and we are beginning to get our area started up. We have been able to get more lessons in and are doing a better job at finding people. Our investigators are doing really well. Cezar is amazing and we are trying to work with him to get the Aaronic Priesthood and tonight we have an appointment with his dad. We are also teaching a man and he will be baptized sometime in the next month or two. We've had some pretty crazy stuff happen this week with finding. A couple of days ago we were riding down the street and felt like we should talk to this one guy who was leaning against his truck. We found out that he has been able to change his life around through Christ. He was in a gang before and almost went to jail but now he has gotten a job and is going to be able to take care of his little girl. We got a return appointment and right before we were about to leave he mentioned that he had been inside when he had felt prompted to go outside and wait. He had been waiting for over an hour by the time that we talked to him and he said that it wasn't luck we had met.

I have a lot of people from the MTC in my district. I actually had the opportunity to go on the first ever heard of "Greeny Exchange" and I was put with my old MTC companion Elder Woodruff. It was a lot of fun and really interesting to see what both of us have learned. All but two missionaries from my district, besides the two in Nicaragua, are really close to me. It is awesome! My buddy Elder Strong is also in the same apartment complex with us. One night we were playing a little game of soccer and I was going up against him. I got the ball and as soon as I walked away I saw him fall back into the window. It was a very interesting night. Luckily the window is only $25, so it isn't two bad. I don't think we will be playing soccer inside much anymore. It was quite a funny experience. "We can laugh about it now we're okay".

We haven't been able to read the General Conference talks too much but I do sometimes when I have Mormon.org time. I love Elder Uchtdorf's talk in Priesthood Session. It was absolutely amazing and all of the other one's are great.

To tell you the truth it still seems like summer, but we are starting to get into fall. It gets just a little colder at night and is not quite so hot or humid during the day. If I didn't know better though I would say that it was early August.

I love Mexican food now, but I have to tell you that I had no idea what it was before I came out here. Burritos are just the tip of the iceberg. My two favorite things here are Tortes which are like a sandwich and Papusas which are really cool El Salvadorian bread. I also like Pan de Dulce.

It doesn't matter how long I have been out, I can still have an effect on the work. If I try to do my best then everything will be all right and the Lord will bless me with success. I found a really good quote by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin that says, "Come what may and love it... Trust in the Lord. Do your best and leave the rest to him". Everything will be all right because I am here trying to do what is right.

I love you guys so much and I want you to know that I am doing fine. I got your letter in the mail and will be sending one to you in a week or two.

Good luck with Halloween!

Love Elder Ressler